Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Sunday 24 April 2011

Good Friday in the English Countryside

The draw of the sunshine and the great outdoors proved irresistible, soon the car was packed with lenses and camera bodies, and I was heading away from Caddington, then towards the Dunstable Downs and Aston Clinton. At every turn that appeared, I chose the one that I had either never made before, or looked interesting.

I liked the name Swanbourne, and arrived at a bridge with a high parapet, and a convenient spot to park. I looked around and spotted a girl jogging in my direction; I moved to the wall and looked over to see a dished railway line, and as this realisation came the jogger arrived and asked: "Waiting for a steam train?" I responded truthfully that she obviously knew the area better than me, as until I looked over, I had no idea whether a road, canal or railway, lay below. We exchanged a few words, and the girl took off her dark glasses, so I chanced my arm, asked if I might take her picture, she declined. I enquired whether there was a station down the road from which she had come. She had not noticed, however she did let me know there was a decrepit house probably up for auction, halfway down, after few shots from the bridge, I drove that way, took a couple of photos before finding the Station House.

It is now a private house, so I looked for the owner, and asked his permission to wander around taking pictures, he was very amenable, and I learnt he was the son of the Station Master, and had lived there all his life. It does however still remain owned by the railways. Initially, I missed his topiary work, though I had spotted the wheels!

Having listened to a bit of Swanbourne station's history I continued on my travels spotting an octagonal structure built around a silver birch. Several miles later, I came across the jogger, and was able to say that I had captured both the derelict house and the station. Soulbury sported a church on a hill, and several houses sporting beautiful displays of colour in their front gardens - I asked one lady whether she minded my taking pictures within her garden; she was only too delighted, and her husband appeared and we chatted, and I was able to mention the Jubilee water trough I had already just photographed. Next was the most unusual village hall I have come across, wonderful fields of rape, (when I pulled up at gate to take these shots, I turned to a horse determinedly using to scratch his backside!) Later at Oving, I spotted  the most extraordinary corrugated iron-roofed cottage!

A beautifully preserved windmill towered over a small village blessed with pleasant pubs and full tables of customers quaffing ale in the unexpected Easter warmth, outside. I phoned to ask whether the Westcott Teahouse was open, only to learn the staff were out, and the workers were in the loft! I visited, offered my services, but was told it was already too crowded. I accepted a cup of tea, chatted and left them to continue on my return trip. This took me past the Railway Centre at Quainton, where I glimpsed Thomas the Tank Engine through the branches.

The last images I captured were of a pied wagtail and collar doves on water at Hoggeston, and sheep in erstwhile meadows as the sun lowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment