I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…

View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Sunday, 13 June 2010

A Day in Essex

I had been consulted about how to move forward with Lightroom once the catalogue was filling up, and after a change to a full-frame dSLR, so having described what was necessary, and why, now had come the time to go over to fit and test the purchases.

I had been so concerned for the overall scheme, I managed to completely forget the tools for the task – I was planning to backup the original internal hard drive to a new external one, then remove the existing drive and replace it with a larger capacity and faster (7200rpm) one – for that I need my Torx drives; so guess where they were? Home! So, my first port of call was a local Maplins.

Thus armed, I plugged in the new eSATA drive into a handy twin-port card into the MacBook Pro’s Express 34 slot. Using Carbon Copy Cloner I proceeded to create a bootable backup, because this clone was due to replace the existing full internal drive. Something I learned along the way when I came to test the results of the transfer was that eSATA from the slot would not be recognised for booting despite the correct GUID partition on the external unit, so to verify what I had transferred would boot, I had to connect temporarily using USB. All was well, so now it was time to carefully remove the existing drive.

I marvelled at the beautiful simplicity of using the clip to remove part of the back panel, and then to see diagrams printed within to explain removal of the drive and replacement of RAM – Thank you Jonathan Ive! I removed the existing four pins that support the drive in rubber mounts and put these onto the incoming drive, reloaded the old data, booted up – all tested fine. Then all the various components were put into their new configuration and finally tested.

During the lulls when the re transfer was taking place we had a short time in the garden and then a walk along the nearby canal where I managed to capture shots of Demoiselle damselflies and blooms. Oh, and a fearsome guard dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment