Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Monday 19 May 2014

Bamville Away to Ley Hill at Amersham

Peter Carr had mentioned that Bamville Cricket Club were to play away at Amersham on the Saturday, and as I had missed their first match which had been a winner for them, I made a concerted effort to try to attend this match. Fortunately Peter’s  pessimistic message that they were not fielding a strong team of members, but a series of friends and friends of friends did not reach me till I arrived at the venue, as had I received it before setting off I might have given it a miss.

However, the team was strong, and the ground much larger than Bamville’s own, and largely level at the boundary. The weather was favourable but variable, sometimes sunny, sometimes cloudy, but bright. I had brought two different lenses and a 1.4 converter which was fortuitous as the distance to the creases was much farther than Bamville’s and I learned that there was more than one snag with using the converter with my 100-400mm lens; I was aware of the vignetting, but had forgotten that the autofocus was limited to a single central spot, so when using AI Servo placing my subject at edges was not on, so composition was often compromised.

What also did not help is either my EOS 7D or my 300mm lens was suffering a glitch, so I have to find the time to investigate further and more than likely pay a visit to Canon’s workshop sometime soon, and dip into savings!

I spent time at different spots around the boundary trying to meet Peter’s desire for me to concentrate on shooting their team’s batsmen when they were in, and their bowlers and fielders when the Ley Hill team were batting, I had to resist the temptation to choose what I felt was more interesting at any one moment in time. I had very little chance of catching bails in the air at the distance I was away from the action as that was not really practical which was a shame.

I must be a handy mascot as Bamville won, so maybe I’ll be invited again! We spent a short time downing a drink at the Eagle which was literally a bridge across a stream from the far boundary, before we both went our separate ways back home.

One sequence I shot I have made into a short animated GIF for fun. I have since learned the name of the bowler featured is Nigel Quinton. I hope it is enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment