Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Monday 16 July 2012

A Quiet Corner of Startops

There was little bird activity above the Marsworth reservoir as I walked past several anglers relaxing hopefully beside twin lines by the side of the path from Tringford reservoir. Upon the surface there were the usual mallard, coots, and pigeons overflying. So I walked beyond and turned towards Startops. Spotting a flurry of small birds flitting between the bank-based trees and the bushes at the water’s edge in the corner, I watched for a while standing, then walked slowly towards the steps and sat just below the bank side on the top step, and the birds ignored me.

I stayed shooting either side of my vantage point as sparrows and pied wagtails flitted back and forth, often coming quite close to where I sat, before deciding that maybe I could represent danger and flying back from whence they came or looping out over the water and landing just beyond me on the steep banking. They were feeding well on various fly species, but since I never saw them swallow, I presume these were for their offspring possibly in a nest either in the hawthorn or other trees to my left where the branches offered shelter. I have only rarely seen the pigeons come down to the water’s edge, but one did, and foraged in the same area the wagtails and sparrows were frequenting.

Considering sparrows are now so rarely seen, perhaps the conservationists should study this habitat, as they have been flying across this corner for all the years I have visited these three reservoirs; something must suit them.


No comments:

Post a Comment