Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Saturday 10 August 2013

Stockwood Discovery Centre Pollinators

Having visited Luton Hoo's Walled Garden and found that the pollinators had at long last arrived in force, I decided to pay a visit to the Stockwood Discovery Centre where I hoped similar conditions would prevail. I was not disappointed, but I noted there seemed to be fewer different bees; but that was not a scientific assessment, simply a personal observation, and I do not profess any knowledge of the subject.

I did notice a couple of bees that appeared to have wallowed in pollen, hence the header picture, and on one there was a tiny insect, and though I did wonder whether this was the dreaded varroa mite, upon checking images on Google it was very different, so no cause for alarm, especially since it was not a honey bee.

There seemed to be just three or four species of butterfly, Peacocks, comma and two white varieties, one of which was likely Cabbage White, which were as nervous as ever of landing for more than three nanoseconds, so do not appear in my gallery. The hoverflies seemed smaller than I remember, but that may simply be a matter of maturity, but their flight was more amenable to my capture.

Of fruit, there were a few figs coming along, and I find the shape of their leaves fascinating.

Speaking briefly to Jan, one of the gardeners, I heard that she had seen a dragonfly in the gardens a while back, and so far this year I have only briefly glimpsed two both close to reservoirs, but I have photographed precisely none, which disappoints me greatly. However, I do now know a location that has at least three, and I did manage to grab a couple of poor photographs of them, at Ashridge by a stagnant pool. I vow to return!


No comments:

Post a Comment