Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Saturday 22 May 2010

Of Birds and Bluebells

Somewhat late in the day I set off once more for Tringford reservoir, but my normal route was barred for some reason beyond Whipsnade, so I had to return and take an alternative route via Studham. They were holding their May Fair, and the organisers must have been delighted by the response, there was barely a square foot of space left; cars were parked along the verges for nearly half a mile! This diversion was to influence what happened after I left Tringford to return.

I met Bob the Bailiff resting on a bench in the woods, and he immediately offered to take me out in a boat on the lake, which I gratefully accepted.

I wanted to test using a gimbal head on my tripod, and although it may seem obtuse to use a tripod in a boat, it does in fact make some sense, as these were shallow draught boats.

Bob does not take kindly to cormorants as the reservoir is not stocked to be their larder, but I was nevertheless happy to take shots of one perched on some branches in the water, but it was the heron we were actually trying to approach, and as we concentrated on the cormorant flying off, we missed how the heron also took leave! After my trip on the water Bob introduced me to his wife, before they left for a night out at a restaurant.

I stayed on for a while, but I left after another hour and on the return trip I turned towards Ashridge, and as the light was brilliant and low. I stopped off in the bluebell woods, which was pure happenstance or serendipity, though I did not realise that accidentally my lens was set for Image Stabilisation, which should never be used when a camera is mounted on a tripod, and so much of what I took was lost. That was very careless of me. I think I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment