Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Thursday 21 July 2016

Brogborough Lake’s Fauna and Flora

On the last occasion I had been photographing the Windsurfers of Brogborough Lake, I was in a clearing above the water’s edge on the far side, and had been inundated with damselflies with only the very occasional dragonfly, so I was determined that I might take along the right lenses to be able to capture dragonflies this time around, as the wind was non-existent, so no activity from windsurfers.

I cycled over rather than use the car, and as I left the old A421 to head for Lidlington a broken branch was hanging halfway across the lane, so I laid the bike down and tried my best to push it clear of the highway, but it was not having it! I then flagged down passing motorist hoping one might have a knife so I could hack it back, but in the end a passing lady helped me to snap some of the lesser branches sufficiently to clear the road.

 I then thanked her and continued my journey to the gate into a field on the right where fortunately I was able to squeeze past, in the gap between the gate post and the trees to reach the water’s edge just beyond the windsurfing club.  I settled down close by the gate in the shade of a bush with the 100mm  macro on the 7D MkII and was soon visited fleetingly at first by numerous dragonflies, with only a very few damselflies and where I was on the bank there were wild flowers directly ahead of me which attracted a few bees every so often, so I had chosen well.

I saw a solitary reddish brown dragonfly, but it never came in close, nor did it land, whereas the blue-bodied ones often landed just a few feet away directly on the beach, and frustratingly were very much camouflaged by the scrubby detail of the ground which meant the detail of their wings were largely lost – I am tempted to find a small plank of weathered wood to bring with me next time and leave it at the right distance from where I sit to correct for that issue!


The bees were more amenable in that they were both closer and not fazed by my close presence, making them a far easier subject for me to capture. Since this area really belonged to the local anglers I was concerned when one came along that I might be kindly asked to leave, but I need not have worried, when I spoke to him, he was entirely happy for me to continue. Once the sun came around to beat down upon where I had been stationed, I called it a day and cycled back to Marston Moretaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment