Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Saturday 27 October 2018

London Visit to Wex Photographic

I had decided to try to take a look at the new Canon full-frame mirrorless body to see whether this could aid my photography of birds and motorsports, but although I did get the chance to handle the camera, it had no adaptors for my Canon lenses, which lessened the value of my visit. However, despite the chilly wind the sun was bright so the chance of using the camera I had with me: the 5D MkIII and the 24-70mm with macro, it proved to be ideal to capture some of the new architecture that now crowds London’s skyline. I mean ‘crowds’ as all the new buildings are only partially seen between the gaps of others, the only noticeable exception being the ‘Shard’ which is close to the river. Also, since I was in the East of the City and I had not scheduled to spend the entire day in London, that was not on the current itinerary, so I reckon that is a for a later trip. 
Today was to get a chance to take a look and handle the Canon EOS R, and although I did manage to get some example shots taken, which were then transferred to my CF Card, I did at least get a feel for the controls. I did however come away with one very strong criticism – Why, if you are dropping the CF Card in favour of the now far faster SD variant, why was the opportunity not taken to build in two slots, which most of the current crop of rival cameras have already done? Is that a Bold Canon Statement that this Is Not a Pro Camera; that will come later? The idea behind the three EF Lens Adapter variants was very obviously saying “We want existing Canon Users to buy this body with all your acquired earlier glass, then gradually replace these with the RF variety”, to then lessen the advantage by the non-provision of a second slot – sorry Canon, why provide the competition with such an obvious advantage?
I maybe a voice in the wilderness, but I seriously reckon there should be a Model 1.1 with the second card slot, Sony and Fuji must be rubbing their hands with Glee at this lacuna. Until I take a look at the few shots I took, I cannot be certain that another observation I made is valid, but the image on screen was far cooler in colour temperature versus what I was seeing through the viewfinder, so one of the first checks I intend making is a look at which colour is recorded on the card, if that matches what I saw through the viewfinder then I am slightly less concerned, but since it is possible to alter the JPEGs before say uploading them to the Web or one’s blog, then this may well be a serious concern. To my simplistic view the two screens, despite their differing resolution should be a match for colour. The area I was in although it had supplementary lighting was largely flooded with daylight, and to my eye, the viewfinder was accurate, the flip out screen was quite an amount cooler.
I really need to learn more about this camera, but apart from the above comment I was impressed with the cleanness of the images and they were at High ISO, and the stabilisation was good when I decided to opt for an f/stop of f/11 which forced me to up the ISO, as I wanted to check the greater depth of field, as despite it being daylight the light was not particularly bright.
The flip out screen was very robust and certainly that was a feature I have often wanted for low or high-level shots. Unless Canon rapidly add a second card slot, it looks as if I will have to hang out for the next iteration which is a disappointment as in so many ways this is a body I have been waiting for, since going to Sony was never an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment