Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Friday 17 April 2020

Forest Centre Lock-Down Cycle Ride

A more distanced cycle ride around the Forest Centre - I kept my distance from both other cyclists and from those travelling alone, or in small family groups whilst on this excursion ride around the numerous paths that wind their way around this woodland retreat. I had set out on this ride initially with a very different destination in mind, but had found that access to the local Anglers’ lakes had been curtailed, hence why I returned to the Station Road entrance to the park.
It was some three minutes’ ride before I even saw anyone at all, and so I dismounted, leant the bike carefully against a tree, and took out my camera from the front pannier. I had spotted some luscious green Horse Chestnut leaves with a cluster of candles which seemed to form a circle. I then spent several minutes capturing further examples of the burgeoning  and crinkly young leaves making the most of the warm sunshine to herald the new season. I walked around this small area for probably ten or so minutes, oblivious to any others that may have passed by, as I focussed entirely on the beauty of nature blossoming in this small area. I then put the camera in the front pannier, and cycled slowly deeper into the woods with only the minimal sounds of birdsong, and occasional clatter of pigeons flapping frantically to avoid nearby leaves as they flew from branch to branch.
Although the predominant colour was a vibrant green, the splashes of white, red and pink against the fresh green, was what caught the eye of my lens, then the occasional young insects, when I moved in closer. The first of those I managed to capture was a Ladybird, but there were others that were too fast or restless for me to capture.
I would stop at various spots where I had caught sight of a specific plant, and either lay down the bike, or find a convenient fence or tree to lean it upright, and take off the soft camera cover and scout around for likely subjects. On one such foray, I looked into the rounded scar of an erstwhile branch and was amazed by what I had found! The healed wound itself was interesting in itself, but what I spotted within was a delight — I had discovered an entire family of snails! To capture the scene did present me with a slight problem, but fortunately the camera I have been using of late, the LUMIX FZ 10002 has just the tool to come to my rescue — it has a pop-flash, and it was but a moment to decide which way to orient the camera to ensure that the interior of this small cave was illuminated by the flash without an annoying shadow — the over-exposure of the exterior of the tree trunk I would sort later when in Lightroom. The evidence of the history of the tree’s earlier wound that gave rise to the Snails’ home had a beauty and charm all its own! As I searched for other subjects close by, two family I felt groups came past, so I shared my discovery with them, as both had young children, for whom this would be fascinating. To one group I withheld the description of what to expect, the other I described what they might expect — both were happy for my sharing the discovery.
I could see the lazy turning of the Wind Turbine across the nearby lake, but from the path, it was obscured by scrappy branches, but the lure of the scene was enough for me to leave the bike partly hidden on the far side of the path whilst the camera and I made the slightly tricky descent to be clear of the trees to capture a shot of the turbine across the intervening water.
Returning to my bike, I packed up the camera again, to continue my journey of discovery.
I soon spotted a Peacock butterfly, and it was not as edgy as an earlier encounter with a recent butterfly, and I managed a couple of shots of it on the path, before spotting alongside some rusting iron gates the equally rusting evidence of four concrete, anchorages probably World War Two vintage possibly used to anchor a barrage balloon. It was not long before I returned to the point at which I had entered the Park and headed for home having enjoyed fresh air and exercise, and the chance to maintain my sanity and gain further valuable experience of this excellent camera and its foibles.

No comments:

Post a Comment