Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Thursday 3 February 2011

Hertfordshire Hedge Layer

I was on the road towards Dagnall, and parked up because I spotted that some hedge-laying was being carried out, and I thought I would simply capture a few shots of the work, but, having parked in front of a gate, I spotted a red kite very low above some bushes across the road. So, my subject for the camera was in that moment no longer the hedge!

I then concentrated on trying to capture the red kite, but although I persevered, it and later its five colleagues, never came anywhere near so close. It was during this time that I heard the sound of a motor ticking over nearby, and I soon realised that my parking of the car obstructed a pickup hoping to leave the field. I rushed over and apologised to the driver and duly moved it out of his way. I returned to trying to capture shots of the kites. By now it was getting ever colder and also the sun was spending more of its time obscured by cloud, so I gave in and returned to the car.

I then noticed that the man to whom I had been talking was now parked up along the road I was about to return on, and he was the hedge layer! I parked against the verge beyond his vehicle and turned on the hazard warning lights and asked whether he minded my taking photos of him, he had no objections, so I tried to get a few shots as he worked the wood that was on the back of his pickup into the hedge. We chatted as I did so, and I learnt that he claimed to be no expert but that the style of his laying was known as Hertfordshire hedge-laying, and that the farm for which he worked had been doing a new section of the boundaries each year, and maintaining past years’ work; all in the aid of providing habitat for wildlife and keeping the fields secure.

I hope to return later on a finer day in the hope of capturing some decent shots of the kites and buzzards that seem to be local to that location.

No comments:

Post a Comment