Welcome

I am Rod Wynne-Powell, and this is my way to pass on snippets either of a technical nature, or related to what I am currently doing or hope to be doing in the near future.

A third-person description follows:
Professional photographer, Lightroom and Photoshop Workflow trainer, Consultant, digital image retoucher, author, and tech-editor for Martin Evening's many 'Photoshop for Photographers' books.

For over twenty years, Rod has had a client list of large and small companies, which reads like the ‘who’s who’ of the imaging, advertising and software industries. He has a background in Commercial/Industrial Photography, was Sales Manager for a leading London-based colour laboratory and has trained many digital photographers on a one-to-one basis, in the UK and Europe.
Still a pre-release tester for Adobe in the US, for Photoshop, he is also very much involved in the taking of a wide range of photographs, as can be seen in the galleries.

See his broad range of training and creative services, available NOW. Take advantage of them and ensure an unfair advantage over your competitors…


View any Gallery by Clicking the relevant TEXT Headline

Tuesday 10 September 2019

The Black Gallery Tring – Evergreen Africa Exhibition

After my most recent trip to Brogborough Lake to photograph windsurfers, I left for home after only the briefest of spells there, because I was heading for Tring to meet up with a fellow photographer, Dr Vanessa Champion who has spent several spells shooting in Africa; the most recent being the subject of an exhibition of her work with Evergreen Africa from her PhotoAid expedition to the Foothills of Mount Elgon.
Vanessa had invited me to the Private Viewing evening due to be opened by David Evans, MBE, but my arrival was horribly delayed, and my entry was embarrassing in the extreme, but as I listened to the end of Paul Votzenlogel’s words, I calmed sufficiently to take out my camera and quietly take some shots of him speaking. Up till that moment I was so disheartened that I had considered leaving the camera in the car because of how late my arrival had been, however, I rallied, and began silently shooting, and once I had some images, my self-flagellation subsided, and calm was restored.
Photography for me is therapeutic, I become absorbed in what it is I am watching, and as my eye spots the interactions of others who may be conversing intently, to either a group or an individual, or are self-absorbed, I try to move to a position where I can best compose the image that tells the story. It is interesting to see how some people use their hands, others use their eyes, or tilt their heads. I often spot interesting non-verbal communication and this evening there were for me some interesting interactions amongst friends, that certainly intrigued me. Perhaps Ness will enlighten me, or perhaps not! I do not use flash at events such as these, as it is far too distracting, such lighting also kills the inherent natural ambiance and character of the venue, yes it is a challenge, but where is the joy if it all comes easily, or the event is overwhelmed with flashes from all corners. Under such an assault it is more akin to a War Zone than an intimate gathering enjoying the atmosphere, the introductory speeches and the later interactive banter amongst friends and new acquaintances.
On all occasions such as this evening, I do not use flash which means that I do not intrude, however the mere fact I have a camera, can sometimes mean that if someone sees the lens is aimed in their direction they stare straight into the lens as if to enquire: “Why me?” Most times I will aim elsewhere, if only momentarily, but twice on this evening I took the shot. Generally, I try not to intrude, I keep my eye open for laughter, and for hand-waiving, finger-pointing, and certainly, Ness never disappoints! I hope that some of those attending will get the chance to see what I captured. I am certainly glad I did bring the camera, it was cathartic for the frustration I felt for the over-long journey and subsequent very late arrival.

I also hope the pictures I have taken will be a reminder of an interesting and enjoyable evening for all those attending this Private Viewing, and perhaps many of those in the following days, when the doors are open to all-comers.

No comments:

Post a Comment